Business India ×
 Climate Change

Energy
Published on: July 12, 2020, 8:10 a.m.
New 750 MW solar project installed in Madhya Pradesh
  • The Rewa solar power plant

By Business India Editorial

Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation a 750 MW solar project installed at Rewa, Madhya Pradesh, on 10 July -- consisting of three solar generating units of 250–250 MW each on 500 hectares of land located inside a solar park (total area 1,500 hectares). 

The solar park has been developed by Rewa Ultra Mega Solar (RUMSL), a joint venture company of Madhya Pradesh Urjavikas Nigam Limited (MPUVN) and Central Public Sector Unit Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI). 

RUMSL was provided with Central financial assistance of Rs138 crore for development. 

Three solar generating units of 250 MW are located inside the park, set up through reverse auction through Mahindra Renewables, ACME Jaipur Solar Power, and Arinsun Clean Energy. 

"We’re particularly proud that @MahindraSusten - our big bet in renewables - is a key partner in this milestone achievement," tweeted businessman Anand Mahindra.

The Rewa project has achieved a first-year tariff of Rs2.97 per unit, with an escalation of Rs0.05 per unit over 15 years, and a levellised rate of Rs3.3 per unit over 25 years. 

The project will provide 24 per cent of its power to the Delhi Metro, while the remaining 76 per cent will be supplied to the state electricity distribution companies (discoms) of Madhya Pradesh.

“The World Bank investment in the solar park in Rewa has helped boost market confidence in the Indian solar sector. The park has managed to catalyze commercial funding, contributing towards India’s ambitious target of installing 100 GW of solar power capacity by 2022,” said Surbhi Goyal, Senior Energy Specialist.

The Rewa project adds to India's formal commitment to achieve 175 GW of installed renewable energy capacity by 2022.

The park aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 1.3 million tonnes every year and nearly double the state's capacity to generate solar power.


Entrepreneursip

The Equator Prize recognises local and indigenous communities from around the world

Two Indian organisations win UNDP prize

Published on July 21, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

The Equator Prize recognises local and indigenous communities from around the world

Environment

In one of the country's largest ecological restorations, 2,500 acres of barren land will be converted into a natural habitat

Largest man-made forest to come up in Chhattisgarh

Published on July 21, 2021, 12:35 p.m.

In one of the country's largest ecological restorations, 2,500 acres of barren land will be converted into a natural habitat

Entrepreneursip

The fund will concentrate on four sectors: green buildings, energy storage, sustainable agriculture, and alternative energy

Veerappa Moily’s son to launch ClimateTech VC fund

Published on July 21, 2021, 12:09 p.m.

The fund will concentrate on four sectors: green buildings, energy storage, sustainable agriculture, and alternative energy

Environment

The dominant tree species in central Indian forests, Teak and Sal are expected to be sensitive to change in temperature than rainfall

One-fifth of forests at risk due to climate change: government

Published on July 21, 2021, 10:40 a.m.

The dominant tree species in central Indian forests, Teak and Sal are expected to be sensitive to change in temperature than rainfall

E-MAGAZINE

Healthcare

Goodyear India partners Americares India Foundation

Published on Feb. 2, 2021, 9:21 p.m.

The partnership will support COVID-19 healthcare facilities in Faridabad and Aurangabad

Environment

Tata Motors launches a 'Go Green' initiative

Published on Dec. 23, 2020, 10:34 a.m.

The company will plant a sapling for the sale of every new commercial vehicle

Women Empowerment

Tata Starbucks ties up with Educate Girls to empower women

Published on Dec. 2, 2020, 3:10 p.m.

The partnership aims to provide volunteering and educational support to those who have relocated to urban cities from villages

Environment

The public sector company is planting a tree for every retail customer visit during its TreeCheers campaign period